Monday, March 19, 2012

Strawberry Poundcake w/ Strawberry Marsh Icing

Typically...I'm not that girl who reads the side of boxes for the suggested recipes and ideas from their "kitchen." However, I bought a Duncan Hines Strawberry Supreme cake mix because I love strawberry anything and had no idea what I was going to do with it.

Peeking at the side of the box on a Sunday afternoon I saw a recipe for a Strawberry Poundcake. Oh dear lordy! My two loves thrown into one delicious cake. Score!
Reading the directions I see it calls for pudding mix...I know that it's been years since I've bought a pudding mix and the same for my mom, but I check the cabinets anyway...just in case.
No dice! After much pouting, thinking, pouting and thinking some more...I thought of an Idea!
I took a stick of butter and cream cheese...slapped those suckers into a bowl and softened so they'd be a bit more manageable for creaming together...
After getting those to a lovely creamy consistency I added 3 large eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. I added a bit of heavy cream to get a more whipped consistency, but it's not necessary. I also added about 1 cup of powdered sugar, again not necessary, but I wanted the batter a bit sweeter without the granulated sugar.

Next the fun part! Pour in the strawberry cake mix...I get messy when I add dry ingredients to wet so be careful.

After mixing well and making sure to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl pour into bundt pan or angel food cake pan, whatever you prefer. Make sure it is well greased. Then slide that puppy in the oven for heavenly goodness in 1 hour.



If you like your poundcake without a glaze or icing you're done and when it's cooked through and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean...I suggest enjoying while it's still warm.
If you like icing continue on.

I decided about 20 minutes left into baking that I wanted an icing for my poundcake because hey let's face it, I like strawberry....Pardon my shaky pictures, I clearly get excited and shake when I like things
I emptied both jars into a microwave safe bowl and then heated on 15 second intervals until I could easily mix the two together. 



Isn't it so pretty and swirly!
Once you've placed your somewhat cooled cake onto the desired plate start plopping that delicious concoction all over the top of the cake.


Now slice and enjoy!!

Nikki's Creamy Strawberry Poundcake
1/2 c butter
8 ounces cream cheese
3 large eggs
1/2 c Heavy Cream
1 c powdered sugar
1 box strawberry cake mix (your choice of brand or flavor)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray or grease your desired baking dish
3. Soften butter and cream cheese and cream together until smooth
4. Add eggs 1 at a time until well blended, being sure to scrap the sides of the bowl after each addition to get a well blended batter.
5. Add optional 1/2 c Heavy Whipping Cream and 1 c powdered sugar for taste and texture.
6. Mix in the Strawberry cake mix and mix until no more powdered residue remains.
7. Pour batter into the greased baking dish of your choice and place in preheated oven.
8. Bake for 1 hour or until reaches desired doneness.
9. Let set for 10-15 minutes to cool before removing from baking dish and glazing or icing.


Strawberry Diabetic Coma Fluff Icing
1 jar marshmallow fluff
1 jar strawberry icing


1. Empty both the marshmallow fluff jar and the strawberry icing jar into large mixing bowl (make sure it's microwave safe).
2. Microwave for 15 second intervals until the icing and marshmallow are easily mixed.
3. Drizzle or pour over the top of your cake.
Lumping icing on is gooood


Too much icing means you need a larger plate or less icing


Heavenly!
Seriously this was soooo yummy!
I seriously hope you all enjoy my creation.


~Nikki

No comments: