Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Best Grilled Cheese Ever: Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese

I'm really quite the fan of grilled cheese sandwiches...Anything with cheese, where it's melty and glorious is a must. Enough said there...I think. Let's tell about how I stumbled upon this recipe...sitting in my hairdressers, Heather, waiting on the color in my hair to percolate into that perfect shade we adore so much, we cruised through Pinterest checking out great recipes...especially after I gave her some surprise brownies (made with black beans)!
When you add into the grilled cheese concept one of my favorite dip combinations it just puts the icing on the proverbial cake. 
*sighs*
I love Pinterest and I really thank it for some of the rockin' recipes I have found and this has been by far a recipe that I saw, and then immediately went and bought ingredients and came home and made them.

Let just say a lot of my favorite ingredients are in this recipe: garlic, artichokes, cheese, bread, garlic, bread, cheese, artichokes...garlic.
After drooling over your garlic for quite some time you should perhaps chop some really super fresh spinach! Don't forget to remove the stems!
Next crack open the cans or jars of artichoke hearts, I believe in the concept of "more is more." So I love artichokes and um this is where I go way off from the original recipe...2 cans! Lay them on me! 
*drools just thinking about artichokes*

This is what I will term...a Hot mess...It doesn't look super appetizing but its artichokes and spinach and oh man it's sooooo good!

Let's start up the heating of the skillet with a bit of an olive oil and butter mixture...then let's slap on some cheese!

Perfectly toasted bread makes the grilled cheese yumminess that much better....


Spinach Artichoke Grilled Cheese
Adapted from A Couple Cooks


Ingredients
  • 2 cloves fresh garlic, diced
  • 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
  • 2 cans artichoke hearts
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 4 tablespoons sour cream
  • sliced Havarti cheese
  • sliced sun dried tomato cheddar
  • sliced fresh mozzarella
  • shredded parmesan
  • sliced turkey or ham lunch meat
  • slices bread
  • to taste kosher
  • butter


Cooking Directions
Sauteed Spinach!
  1. Dice the 2 cloves garlic.
  2. Chop the artichokes.
  3. Wash and stem the spinach, then chop it coarsely.
  4. Heat about 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet.
  5. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
  6. Then add the spinach and a pinch of kosher salt, and saute for a few minutes until just limp.
  7. Add the artichokes and saute for another minute or so, until heated through.
  8. Drain off any liquid from the pan.
  9. Stir in 4 tablespoons sour cream and another pinch of kosher salt.
  10. Spread butter (or olive oil) on one side of each of the bread pieces.
  11. Heat a griddle pan to medium high heat.
  12. Place pieces of bread on the griddle, buttered side down.
  13. On each piece, place slices of sun-dried tomato cheddar, fresh mozzarella, Havarti cheese and parmesan cheese, the spinach artichoke filling, lunch meat, some more cheese (1/2 cup cheese per sandwich), and the other piece of bread.
  14. When the bottom bread is browned, flip the sandwich and cook until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted.
Enjoy!
~Nikki

No comments: