Monday, February 27, 2012

I'm way way behind: Homemade Fudge Rounds

I am way way behind on blogging, but I am still cooking constantly and trying to take pictures of what I make...either with my phone or my camera...sometimes I make it through the entire process...sometimes I don't.


I owe this recipe a moment in the spotlight since back during the Super Bowl. Yes, that's how far behind I am!


Fudge Rounds. Little Debbie's fantastic fudge treats that most any chocolate lover will devour. Unless you don't like chocolate; in which case this recipe is so not for you.
Up Close and Personal
Look at how delightful and fluffy that filling is. It's rich so be warned now, I made my fudge rounds huge, by mistake so try and scoop according to the size of cookie you want, the dough spreads.

I stumbled upon this recipe and many more on Confessions of a Cookbook Queen. I can't wait to cook additional treats and treasures that I discovered on her blog at a later date.

courtesy of : Confessions of a Cookbook Queen

COOKIES

1 1/4 cup salted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 eggs 
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour
3/4 cup cocoa
1 teaspoon baking soda 


FILLING

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons warm water




Heat oven to 350.

In the bowl of a mixer, cream butter and sugar on medium until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time mixing after each addition. Mix in vanilla.

In a medium bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Add slowly to the butter/sugar mixture in the mixing bowl. Beat until combined.

Drop spoonfuls** on ungreased cookie sheets and bake for 7-9 minutes. Remove baking sheets to cooling racks and remove cookies after a few minutes to continue cooling.

While cookies cool, make your filling.


In the bowl of a mixer, beat the shortening and butter on medium speed until smooth and combined. Beat in vanilla. Add cocoa powder and powdered sugar and beat on low until just combined. Add water and beat on medium high for about 2 minutes or until light and fluffy.

Once cookies have cooled, pipe or spread filling on the flat side of half of them***. Gently press another cookie on top of the filling.

****For the stripes, microwave 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips and 1 teaspoon vegetable oil in a microwave safe bowl, stirring every 15 seconds until smooth. Drizzle or pipe on top of Fudge Rounds. Refrigerate until chocolate is set.


Nom, Nom!
 **Spoonfuls, are a very generous measure. I would suggest using a scoop if possible to keep them more uniform and this way you can control the size somewhat.
***Just another reason you want to try and keep your cookies uniform. If they aren't similar in size and shape sandwiching the filling between cookies will get really messy really fast.
****I omitted the stripes because I really didn't feel like adding more to them. Frankly, I'm glad I didn't because they were so rich.
Huge cookies!!!
With all of that being said, I love chocolate. I mean I love chocolate as much as the next person and typically I can eat it like it's going out of style when I have to, however I took one bite out of Josh's fudge round and I was done. I guess to me it was too rich for my tastes, plus let's be honest I made monster Fudge rounds, normal people can't eat a hole one. 

(Sorry honey, I love you but your belly isn't normal)

No comments: